Sunday 31 December 2017

Book Review: Fairest; Marissa Meyer.

I adore Marissa Meyer's 'The Lunar Chronicles' series so much, and I actually bought this book with gift money as a little treat for myself. I always felt that Levana could do with a tad more development. I wanted to understand what made her so cruel, and with this novella I finally got to!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Fairest
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
SERIES: The Lunar Chronicles (#3.5)
PUBLISHER: 
Scholastic
PAGES: 224
GENRE: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Retelling, Fantasy

RATING: 5/5 Stars


Blurb:
In this stunning bridge book between Cress and Winter in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles, Queen Levana’s story is finally told.

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
Who is the fairest of them all?

Fans of the Lunar Chronicles know Queen Levana as a ruler who uses her “glamour” to gain power. But long before she crossed paths with Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress, Levana lived a very different story – a story that has never been told...until now.

What I Liked:
  • Meyer did a really good job expanding her already fantastic universe here. We got to see more of life on Lunar, and how it got to the state it was in. I loved watching not only Levana's rise to power, but also more about Sybil Mira, Selene and her mother and even Winter. I loved that expansion, loved seeing that Channary really was horrible and that wasn't a lie. Meyer is so good at this.
  • I mean really, what else did I expect from Meyer's universe? Or her writing? It was exquisite and I was hooked from page one. I loved the way that every revelation came about, and the amount of times I said 'Oh! That explains so much!'. These were nuggets of information I didn't know I needed!
What I Disliked:
  • Really, there was nothing. This book was so good. I kind of wish it had been longer? I'd have definitely read another 100-200 page prequel to 'The Lunar Chronicles'.
Overall Conclusion:
I loved this prequel novella, and placing it between 'Cress' and 'Winter' is perfect because it gives insight into the characters we already know while introducing us to new ones that will be met in the next book. However, it doesn't really matter too much when you read this. It's still insightful and well-written, and really helps to develop one of the best book villains of all time!

No comments:

Post a Comment