Thursday 24 November 2016

Book Review: The Ice Dragon; George R.R. Martin.

Yet another short read that I thought I should get into, seeing as I had a little time on my hands to read such a short book. At this point I've deviated pretty far from my chosen reads, but I don't mind. It's been nice to read a little of what takes my fancy!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Hardcover

TITLE: The Ice Dragon
AUTHOR: George R.R. Martin
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Harper Voyager
PAGES: 128
GENRE: Fantasy, Children's Book, Short Story

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
From ancient times the ice dragon was a creature of legend and fear, for no man had ever tamed one. When it flew overhead, it left in its wake desolate cold and frozen land. But Adara was not afraid. For Adara was a winter child, born during the worst freeze that anyone, even the Old Ones, could remember.

Adara could not remember the first time she had seen the ice dragon. It seemed that it had always been in her life, glimpsed from afar as she played in the frigid snow long after the other children had fled the cold. In her fourth year she touched it, and in her fifth year she rode upon its broad, chilled back for the first time. Then, in her seventh year, on a calm summer day, fiery dragons from the North swooped down upon the peaceful farm that was Adara’s home. And only a winter child — and the ice dragon who loved her — could save her world from utter destruction.

What I Liked:
  • This was a really nice, sweet little tale set in a slightly familiar Westeros (long before the 'A Song Of Ice & Fire' series is set) but I loved that I could still recognise Martin's distinct style in it. I didn't imagine him to be as talented at writing books set for a younger audience, but he certainly proved me wrong. It read like a Fairy Tale which is my favourite sort of story, along the lines of 'The Snow Child'.
What I Disliked:
  • While I did enjoy this book, I didn't manage to enjoy it quite as much as I have other children's stories. I liked it of course, but I missed Martin's attention to detail and the lack of too much jumping around in time. There were a lot of things about this book that felt vague and I longed to know more about the setting, the time and the dragon.
Overall Conclusion:
A lovely, well-written story set in Westeros which is one of my favourite book settings. I enjoyed the change of age range and liked the story itself quite a lot, especially as it reminded me so much of a Fairy Tale. Sadly there was a little too much in the way of vague for me to fully immerse myself. I have read a few children's books and enjoyed others more than this because they balance things better. I feel that in attempt to decrease the adult themes usually found in his books, Martin ended up being a little too lacking in the details department.

No comments:

Post a Comment