Tuesday 7 June 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Reasons I Love Game Of Thrones/Once Upon A Time'.


So when this topic came up, I instantly knew that I wasn't in the mood to right it about books. So many of these lists are book related, but I have other interests too, such as watching great TV Series. These two are my favourite currently (I couldn't choose between them) and for very different reasons.

Game Of Thrones...

1) The adrenaline.

Honestly, I can't think of a single show, other than Game Of Thrones, that has me feeling really nervous just before I watch it. Every episode is a roller-coaster of emotion from start to finish. I'm scared to form attachments to characters because the directors truly have no mercy. They aren't afraid to kill, maim and torture every viewer's most beloved character and it leaves me not knowing whether to laugh, cry, or scream in frustration.



2) Badass female characters.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic male characters too. But it's through the women that I really begin to understand what this show is about: power. Or rather, the lack of for a lot of characters, particularly the women. But they make the best of their situation in so many ways and I love it!



3) The politics.

It's called 'Game Of Thrones' for a reason. The whole show is about men, women and children playing games in politics and war, and trying to be the one on top every time. It's the thing I love most about the books and the TV Show does a great job of really bringing the tension to those situations that the characters get in.



4) The world-building.

But even more so, the TV Show really helps bring George R.R. Martin's world to life. The settings are amazing, the clothes/costumes, the magic, everything! The scenery is so breathtaking at times: from the momentous frozen Wall to the sunny shores of Dorne or the magnificent cities of Essos. It only gets better as the seasons go on and the effects for some of the more fantastical aspects are breathtaking!



5) The music.

I am a huge fan of music, and the soundtrack of Game Of Thrones is phenomenally put together. Ramin Djawadi is a genius. I love recognising the little motifs (such as Littlefinger's themes) and watching it play into the plot so well. It's really clever, and of course, everyone knows that the awesome Opening Credits is the best part of the show in so many respects!



Once Upon A Time...

1) It contains one of my favourite TV characters of all time.

Regina. Mills. A.K.A. the Evil Queen! I love this woman. In fact, I think I'm in love with her. It doesn't matter if she's Season 1 evil or Season 5 redeeming herself, she's absolutely fantastic and Lana Parrilla is the perfect person to play her. There are some other, great characters in this show (Emma obviously, Rumplestiltskin, Snow White etc.) but I think Regina just kills it. I'll never forget the moment she crashes Snow White's wedding in the Pilot episode...



2) It contains some of my favourite OTPS, whose ships I would go down with a thousand times.

Any watcher of this programme will probably have heard of the many fandom nicknames for the couples in this programme . Canon ones such as Captain Swan, Outlaw Queen, Swanfire and my personal favourite Rumbelle, or non-canon such as Swan Queen (which I may secretly support...). So many great moments, and of course you can always rely on Charming & Snow White to add some much needed fluff to any situation.



3) Watching my favourite Fairy Tales...with a twist.

No one can fault OUAT for it's interesting takes on some classic tales. It mixes and matches so well, combining more than one most of the time into the lives of each character. Rumplestiltskin crosses with Beauty & The Beast. Red Riding Hood contains inklings of Peter & The Wolf. It's so clever and imaginative, I love it! It adds whole new dimensions too.




4) The venture into LGBT territory.

A surprisingly small amount of shows actually do this, but what makes this one extra special is that it's about Fairy Tales! In fact, the costuming and characters involved are very heavily Disney related! So to see a character like Mulan falling in love with a woman is wonderful, despite the fact that I miss Li Shang. I'm halfway through Season 5, so I hope to see more!



5) The terrible CGI.

Oh come on, even seriously big fans of the show have to admit that the CGI is pretty awful. Be it fire/fireball throwing or magic casting (or even a lot of the Enchanted Forest green screening) I never find myself completely convinced. Yet for me, it kind of adds to the charm of the show. It also provides some pretty comic moments!


No comments:

Post a Comment