Tuesday 9 February 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (Freebie): My picks for 'Lovey Dovey Quotes In Fiction'.


This week's theme, as Valentine's Day is coming up, has been left open to a love-related interpretation. As I have my own little Valentines related post coming up relating to couples, I thought I'd go for a topic that I rarely get to appreciate. Love declarations. It's hard for Authors to pull those kind of things off without making them too cheesy. Here are some of the best in my opinion.

1) 'Pride & Prejudice'; Jane Austen. 
“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” - Fitzwilliam Darcy to Elizabeth Bennet.
2) 'The Fault In Our Stars'; John Green.
 “I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.” - Augustus Waters to Hazel Grace Lancaster.
3) 'Aristotle & Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe'; Benjamin Alire Sáenz.
“I wanted to tell them that I'd never had a friend, not ever, not a real one. Until Dante. I wanted to tell them that I never knew that people like Dante existed in the world, people who looked at the stars, and knew the mysteries of water, and knew enough to know that birds belonged to the heavens and weren't meant to be shot down from their graceful flights by mean and stupid boys. I wanted to tell them that he had changed my life and that I would never be the same, not ever. And that somehow it felt like it was Dante who had saved my life and not the other way around. I wanted to tell them that he was the first human being aside from my mother who had ever made me want to talk about the things that scared me. I wanted to tell them so many things and yet I didn't have the words.” Aristotle about Dante.
4) 'Winter'; Marissa Meyer.
“Captain?"
"Cress." 
She couldn't not say it,although she realized he was right.It was sort of scary.Much scarier than it had been the first time she'd told him,out in the desert.It was different now.It was real. "I'm in love with you."
He chuckled. "I should hope so,after all that." He leaned forward and pressed a kiss against her temple. "And I love you too.” - Carlswell Thorne & Crescent Moon Darnel.
5) 'Valiant'; Holly Black.
“You carried my heart in your hands tonight," he said. "But I have felt as if you carried it long before that.” - Ravus to Valerie Russel.
 6) 'A Certain Slant Of Light'; Laura Whitcomb.
“That I am your heart's secret fills me with song. I wish I could sing of you here in my cage. You are my heart's hidden poem. I reread you, memorize you every moment we're apart.” - Helen to James.
7)  'Between The Lives'; Jessica Shirvington.
“You said you wanted someone to know you. Maybe I just want to have someone know me too. Without you in this world, the memories of every moment we've shared together will be gone. We only exist because others see us. Part of my existence...an important part, only exists because you are here to see it.” - Ethan to Jessica Shirvington.
8) 'Mockingjay'; Suzanne Collins.
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.” - Peeta Mellark & Katniss Everdeen.
9) 'The Sea Of Tranquility'; Katja Millay.
“Just so you know,” I inform him, “one day, I’m going to get tired of sharing your affection with that coffee table and I’m going to make you choose.” 
“Just so you know,” he mimics me, “I would chop that table up and use it for firewood before I would ever choose anything over you.” - Nastya Kashnikov & Josh Bennett.
10) 'Insurgent'; Veronica Roth.
“Tobias,” I say, “I love you.”
His skin is slippery with water and he smells like sweat and my shirt sticks to his arms when he slides them around me. He presses his face to my neck and kisses me right above the collarbone, kisses my cheek, kisses my lips.
“I love you, too,” he says.” - Beatrice Prior & Tobias Eaton.

No comments:

Post a Comment