Thursday 23 April 2015

Book Review: 'A Storm Of Swords: Blood & Gold; George R.R. Martin.

This book. Words have actually failed me. I'm so astounded by how good it was, and exhausted by how much happened, that I need to take a moment to rest before I write this review. I'm so glad I got into this book when I did and I'm so impressed with Martin right now!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: A Storm Of Swords: Blood & Gold
AUTHOR: George R.R. Martin
SERIES: A Song Of Ice & Fire (#3, Part II)
PUBLISHER: Harper Voyager
PAGES: 609
GENRE: High Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Adult

RATING: 5/5 Stars

Blurb:
The men of the Night's Watch are ready for the coming of a great cold and the walking corpses that travel with it. But now they face a horde of wildlings twenty-thousand strong - hungry savage people steeped in the dark magic of the haunted wilderness - poised to invade the Kingdom of the North where Robb Stark wears his new-forged crown. But Robb's defences are ranged against attack from the South, the land of House Stark's enemies the Lannisters. His sisters are trapped there, dead or likely yet to die, at the whim of the Lannister boy-king Joffrey or his depraved mother Cersei, regent of the Iron Throne. Cersei's ambition is unfettered while the dwarf Tyrion Lannister fights for his life, a victim of treachery. And on the other side of the ocean, the last of the Targaryens rears the dragons she hatched from her husband's funeral pyre. Daenerys Stormborn will return to the land of her birth to avenge the murder of her father, the last Dragon King on the Iron Throne.

What I Liked:
  • In my review of the first half of 'A Storm Of Swords', I mentioned that I hadn't read the usual George R.R. Martin bloodthirsty climax that I was used to, though this was probably because it was the first half of a book. In light of that, the second half was exactly what I need. So many things happened that I read basically the entire thing with my mouth open in shock. I have watched the TV Show of course, but I was not expecting the events of the book to happen so quickly and close together. Some of the scenes were brutal and upsetting, while others deeply satisfying. All I can say is if you're looking for action, you'll certainly find it here.
  • I found this book much easier to read than previous books in the series. It progressed at a really good pace, with many twists and turns to keep me occupied. As well as that, I actually felt like I knew who everyone was, and there purpose in the story. The characters were, as always, well thought out and complex to read. I didn't once feel lost, which is what actually earned this book the five star rating that I awarded it.
  • Martin's world-building abilities continue to impress me. I always say that I will never truly enjoy a book unless I can see that the author understands the context that he or she is writing from and this series is a shining example of the level of detail that I enjoy. War is not just about battles and numbers, there aren't always heroes though sometimes they can rise from the unlikeliest of places, and politics is a dangerous, complicated game that must be played carefully.
What I Disliked:
  • There is only one thing I disliked and that is the huge great cliffhanger it left me on right at the very end. I mean, what am I supposed to do now? I can't read the next one for a while and I completely wasn't expecting it! I can't stand being kept in such suspense!
Overall Conclusion:
George R.R. martin is truly an author who knows his craft.I have loved his other books, but this was definitely the one that totally won me over, and I can't believe how much I want to read the rest of them right now! Martin's writing is compelling, bloodthirsty and left me hungry for more. His world-building is like nothing else I've ever read, his characters memorable and the plot never seems to grow dull. I can't wait to read the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment