Saturday 4 October 2014

Six Degrees Of Separation (1984; George Orwell)


It's that time of the month again, the first Saturday! That can only mean one Meme. Six Degrees Of Separation! As always,  it's hosted by the lovely Annabel Smith and Emma Chapman and I suggest visiting their blogs and giving this game a try!

Oh my word. Could it be? A book I have actually read this time? That's right, this month's book is George Orwell's classic, '1984', and there are so many different paths I could go down with this one! 


My first chosen book could be one that a few people would go for, but others might not agree with. 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins is a Dystopian Fiction, that tells a tale of how our world could look in years to come (that is, if something went horribly wrong). '1984', though older, essentially does the same thing. While George Orwell's version is probably far more speculative, mature and politically motivated, I enjoyed them both and while reading one, I think of the other.

My next pick, Veronica Roth's 'Divergent' is similar. In both stories, people are divided into groups. They are controlled in some way by a corrupt Government, the strong heroines of the story are forced to learn to be stronger and both books have received huge amounts of hype as well as movie adaptions. They are both really good books too, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

'Poison Study' by Maria V. Snyder came to mind because like 'Divergent' it has a very strong female lead. Both Yelena and Tris have to make a very difficult decision that will change their lives forever. Also, Tris and Four as a pairing very much reminded me of Yelena and Valek. Both couples are forced to work together, they don't quite trust each other, and the chemistry between them is overwhelming.

My next chosen book is 'Wild Magic' by Tamora Pierce. I adore this book, just as I loved 'Poison Study'. I just spoke about couples, and Daine and Numair will always be a power couple to me, just as Valek and Yelena are. Both books have strong Fantasy elements to them, they are part of a series, have female leads, are written by women, need I go on?

Seeing as I don't get to express my love for Tamora Pierce's writing too often, let's go for another one of hers, shall we? 'Alanna: The First Adventure' was the first book by her that I read and I instantly fell in love with it. Though The Immortals series remains my favourite, they both contain strong females and are set in the same universe. I think that's enough to link them together.

'Moonfall' by Vanessa Morton is my last choice this month for one reason. At the very start of both this book and the book before, two siblings (twins in fact) choose to swap places in order to change their fate. While Alanna switches with her brother so that she can become a Knight while he studies magic, Rachav swaps her place in the Moon Temple's ranks with her sister, Zaron. I really enjoyed both books and highly recommend them!

Ta dah! I hope you enjoyed reading my entry for this month, I can't wait until November comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment