Monday 30 April 2018

April Wrap-Up.

I fee like I'm falling into a bit of a rut. Especially when it comes to sticking to planned reads! Maybe I'm being too harsh on myself... Anyway, I managed four reads, which I'm not all that happy about. I need to get back into a reading routine!




  1. 'Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them' by Newt Scamander. I really wanted to fit this one in before reading anything else, and I'm glad I did! Anyone expecting the story from the films will be disappointed but I found that this fictional non-fiction really helped to expand the lore of the Harry Potter universe and I particularly enjoyed the essay on beast vs. being classification. I also felt that Scamander's personality shone through in his writing. 4/5 Stars.
  2. 'Milk & Honey' by Rupi Kaur. Another dive away from the original planned reads, I was in the mood for some poetry and I borrowed this from a friend to read! I've seen some great reviews for this book and I can see why: the subject matter and presentation was very emotionally impactful. I loved the illustrations too! 3.5/5 Stars.
  3. 'They Both Die At The End' by Adam Silvera. I was really excited by the prospect of this LGBT book, and I loved that it contained so much diversity and representation in it's pages. I also adored the world-building! I have to say though, I expected a much bigger emotional impact than I actually got. I also didn't really connect with the characters in the way I hoped I would.
  4. 'The Magician's Nephew' by C.S. Lewis. I tried to read this as a child and remember putting it down then, but don't remember why. I decided to give it a second chance because I find the world of Narnia so fascinating, and while I liked elements of this story, I found everything too simplistic. The characters had no dimension which was a real shame, but it did answer some questions on the origins of Narnia!

This month I read four books for the Beat The Backlist Challenge, making my yearly total so far thirteen.

- Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them
- Milk & Honey
- They Both Die At The End
- The Magician's Nephew



This month I read zero books for the Finishing The Series Challenge, making my yearly total so far zero.










I read zero books for the New Release Challenge, making my yearly total so far four.











I read one book for the Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, making my yearly total so far ten.

- They Both Die At The End




Here is the end result for Pretty Deadly Blog's Bookish Bingo card.


Part Of A Series: The Novice; Taran Matharu
Spring Release: Children Of Blood & Bone; Tomi Adeyemi
New To Me Author: Milk & Honey; Rupi Kaur
Freebie: --
Intersectional Diversity: bone; Yrsa Daley-Ward
Animal On Cover: Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them; J.K. Rowling
Family: Spectacle; Megan Rose Gedris
LGBT+: They Both Die At The End; Adam Silvera
Second Chance: The Magician's Nephew; C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment