Friday 15 September 2017

Book Review: The Little Red Wolf; Amélie Fléchais.

Yay, another quick illustrated novel to tick off the list! I saw this book on someone's TTT list a few weeks ago actually, so I'm really glad I stumbled upon it on Netgalley to read!

SOURCE: Netgalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: The Little Red Wolf
AUTHOR: Amélie Fléchais
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Diamond Book Distributors
PAGES: 80
GENRE: Graphic Novel, Retelling, Children's Book

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
Lose yourself in in the dark forests of Amélie Fléchais' spectacular artwork. 

A young wolf, on a journey to bring his grandmother a rabbit, is charmed by the nice little girl who offers to help him... but nice is not the same as good. 

A haunting fairy tale for children and adults alike.


What I Liked:
  • The art for this book was great, and definitely unique! That's my favourite part of reading graphic novels of course, especially when they retell classic fairy tales and folklore. A lot of thought and hard work had gone into making it stand out. Bravo!
  • I liked the different direction that Fléchais took with the story-line, and the plot was fully realised too. The wolves were actually 'the good guys' and it was the hunter and his daughter we needed to be wary of. The way it was all explained was great too. 'Little Red Riding Hood' is my favourite fairy tale, and I loved this adaptation!
What I Disliked:
  • There was nothing really to dislike about this book. It was a little hard to find admittedly, as the illustrator is French, so I'd really like to see it gain more exposure. Also, I had to read it on a computer (it wasn't a Kindle read) which was a little irritating. Still, neither of these things are a problem with the book itself.
Overall Conclusion:
This was a cute, quirky little read that didn't take me too long to get through but did put a big smile on my face. Amélie Fléchais is a very talented lady and I'd love to try and get hold of her other work to read as her art style is gorgeous! I hope she does more fairy tale retellings!

No comments:

Post a Comment