Friday 1 July 2016

Planned Reads For July.

I've had a really tough time choosing reads for this month, and I'm not entirely sure why! Part of the reason is that I want to buy new books but am forcing myself not to until I'm further through the TBR pile I have stacked at home. I've finally managed it though and I'm pretty excited about my choices as a whole!




  1. 'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling. This is a classic that has been playing on my mind ever since I watched the live-action film in the cinema earlier on this year. I've never actually read the story despite watching various adaptations of it and I really feel that I ought to at some point soon. It's top of the list this month!
  1. 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown. This is one of those reads that I've had half of my eye on throughout my reading life, wanting to read it yet finding a ton of things I want to read more. There's a lot of controversy that surrounds this series and that has piqued my interest. Most of the reason that I want to read this series however stems from the fact that my boyfriend enjoys it and I once read some of a later book over his shoulder and found myself pretty hooked. Enough to want to give it a proper chance.
  2. 'The Rosie Effect' by Graeme Simsion. I read the first book, 'The Rosie Project', over a year ago now, while I was on holiday in Crete. I loved it. It was hilarious, light-hearted and while I'm a little worried that book two might lose some of the magic, I'm really excited about getting round to this book. I can't wait to find out what Don Tillman has been up to and finish this series once and for all!
  3. 'The Girl Of Ink & Stars' by Kiran Millwood Hargrave. I can't wait any longer to read this book, not after admiring it's absolutely gorgeous cover! I think it sounds like a really interesting read too and I haven't managed to read a book focusing on monsters or cartographers any time recently. Plus, it's Middle Grade too! It's been ages since I've read a book for that age range so I'm excited to see what it brings to the table Fantasy-wise.
  4. 'The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes' by Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm slowly and steadily making my way through this beast of the book and it's time to start the third in the Sherlock Holmes series, which as I understand it, is a collection of short stories. It's an interesting format change and one that I think will work well for the mystery solving duo. I can't wait to reacquaint myself with the world's snarkiest detective and his long-suffering companion.
  5. 'Sisters Red' by Jackson Pearce. I'm fairly certain that this book has been sat on the TBR pile since I started this blog, maybe even before that! Like I said, Fairy Tales are kind of my thing and I'm in a real mood for a decent retelling. 'Red Riding Hood' is one of my favourites so I'm looking forward to seeing a different take on it. I'm instantly drawn to the idea of 'sisters' in this. Am I sensing vibes of 'Rose Red & Snow White' here too?I hope so!
  6. 'City Of Bones' by Cassandra Clare. For some reason, I've been avoiding this series like the plague and I'm not sure why. I'm a huge fan of Holly Black, and Cassandra Clare is a known friend and fellow writer of hers. However, the controversy of plagiarism and accusations by some that it's as bad as 'Twilight' in some ways has no doubt put me off. I received a copy of this book around last Christmas as part of a book prize box that I won, and I have to say the cover at least is beautiful. Besides, despite so much hate, Clare retains an extraordinarily large fan-base too. I think it's time to judge these books for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment