Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Book To Movie Adaptations I'm Looking Forward To/Still Need To Watch'.



Book to movie adaptations are often something I really love to watch. I always try my best to separate them as two very different mediums and it means I get to enjoy them more than the people who expect a film to be exactly like the book. I must confess, I do love it when a movie gets it so right that it ends up bringing my favourite books to life! Here are a few that I'm looking forward to over the next couple of years, and some that I still have yet to watch despite having read the books.

I'm Looking Forward To...

1) Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II. 
(Based on 'Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins).


 

I'm so excited about the last installment in the Hunger Games series, especially as unlike when I watched the previous movies in the series, I actually read the book first this time! I found Mockingjay Part I a little dull in comparison to the other films and then, after reading the book, that (a) I found the same in the book and (b) it's about to get a whole lot better. The release date for this film is so close it's killing me, but as soon as it's in the cinema, I'm there!

2) Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them.
(Based on 'Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them' by J.K. Rowling).


 

Duh! Who wouldn't be excited for this?! Not only is it the next movie installment in the 'Harry Potter' series (sort of...a kind of prequel? Maybe?) it also has Eddie Redmayne in who I just know is going to be brilliant! I've missed wands, I've missed magic, I've missed creatures, and basically everything else! Fingers crossed that this turns out to be as good as it looks!

3) The Jungle Book.
(Based on 'The Jungle Book' by Rudyard Kipling).


 

I'm going to admit that most of the reason that I am excited about this is because it's a freaking live-action Disney film! There's some great names associated with this one too: Christopher Walken, Scarlett Johansson, Bill Murray, Ben Kingsley & Idris Elba.

4) Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.
(Based On 'Pride & Prejudices & Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith).


 

I do actually own this book, though I haven't read it (I started it then for some reason, ended up abandoning it). I have read and adored it's source material: Pride & Prejudice however! More great names are associated with this one: Lily James, Matt Smith, Charles Dance & Lena Heady being the most exciting! A definite must-watch! Also, let's just appreciate how much the movie poster looks like the book cover!

5) Victor Frankenstein.
(Based on 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley).


 

I have yet to see any real adaptation of 'Frankenstein' that has really engaged me, but this could be it. Another great cast list with James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe as Frankenstein and Igor! Radcliffe definitely seems to be leaning towards the Horror genre now that his stint in Harry Potter is over: his performance in The Woman In Black was pretty good though I've heard bad things about Horns (I still haven't watched it yet) so I'd be interested to see how he gets on!

I Have Yet To Watch...

1) Child 44.
(Based on 'Child 44' by Tom Rob-Smith).


 


I adored this book so much and I read it around the time that Child 44 was coming out, but I never actually went to see it. That's a real shame too, it looks like it's pretty good. I particularly like the presence of Gary Oldman in this one (I like him a lot) and Tom Hardy and Noomi Rapace are bound to be great. The film itself got pretty good reviews too so I'm very excited to finally get round to watching it at some point!

2) The Divergent Series: Insurgent.
(Based on 'Insurgent' by Veronica Roth).


 


I watched Divergent a while back, when I still lived at home and really enjoyed it! I thought it stuck to the book pretty well and Shailene Woodley's performance really impressed me (as it did in The Fault In Our Stars). I have yet to watch the next film, though it actually came out earlier this year. I hope to get round to it in the near future but I'll have to get hold of it first!

3) Paper Towns.
(Based on 'Paper Towns' by John Green).


 

I didn't quite enjoy this book as much as my first John Green read: 'The Fault In Our Stars'. I think that's the reason that I haven't watched the film yet, because I think I will feel the same way about the movie. Nevertheless, I think I should still give it a go because it received pretty good reviews and I am intrigued to see how Cara Delevingne does!

4) Dracula Untold.
(Based on 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker).


 


I've been in a real mood for this legend recently, especially after loving 'Dracula' so much and reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova recently. This film is a little different too, as it is actually more of an origin story for Bram Stoker's classic character, and armed with my new-found knowledge of Vlad Tepes, the dictator who supposedly became Dracula, I would have a greater appreciation for it I think. Also: Luke Evans!

5) Cloud Atlas.
(Based on 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell).


 


I am so intrigued to see how they manage to pull such an interestingly organised book off in a film. Especially as it's set in so many different eras, past present and future alike! There's a great cast to look forward to: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving & Ben Whishaw to name but a few! I am so massively disappointed in myself for not watching this yet.