Friday 12 December 2014

Book Review: Scarlet; Marissa Meyer.

I am in such a high state of happiness because not only did I get through this book, but I loved it too! I  will explain more in my review, but I will be entering this one as a Monthly Motif entry because this is definitely a book I have been meaning to get round to for a long time!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Scarlet
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
SERIES: The Lunar Chronicles (#2)
PUBLISHER: Puffin
PAGES: 452
GENRE: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Retelling

RATING: 5/5 Stars

Blurb:

Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other.

Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive – when she breaks out of prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana.

As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner...

What I Liked:
  • This is the easiest subtitle in the world to answer! This book was phenomenal! Let's start with the plot, the thing liked most. I talk a lot about books gripping me from start to finish, but this book is the first in a little while that I felt like I couldn't put down. At the moments I had to, I felt very sulky and couldn't wait to get back into it! There were so many twists and turns, and it was nice to see the multiple viewpoints coming together so well.
  • Marissa Meyer is such a good character writer. I loved both Kai and Cinder in the first book of the series, and they were well developed in this installment. The new characters were equally as well penned. Scarlet was every bit the feisty, independent heroine. Wolf was the literal definition of a mysterious, handsome stranger. As for Captain Thorne, can a person be more hilarious?
  • As before in 'Cinder', Meyer's world-building skills have just got better. I love her version of our future and it's so interesting reading about the political system, the environment, and best of all: the technology. Before I started this series I could never imagine a futuristic version of Cinderella or Red Riding Hood. These retellings of the classics just completely work though and I love it!
What I Disliked:
  • There are times that I struggle with this section and this is definitely one of those times. I would perhaps have liked a little more of the book's time dedicated to Cinder, Thorne, Scarlet and Wolf as a whole group. In short, I wish they'd met up a bit sooner. It made for a climactic finale but it felt ever so slightly disappointing to see so little in the way of interaction between the four of them. Still, I have the next book for that!
Overall Conclusion:
It felt like pretty much every element in this book worked and I found myself really getting into it! I smiled at the romantic moments, laughed out loud at Thorne's sarcasm and groaned as things spiraled downhill for Kai. Not many books, or indeed Authors, have the ability to make a person do that. I commend Meyer on her exceptional skill and look forward to more from this series. I hope I get 'Cress' for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment