Saturday 6 September 2014

Six Degrees Of Separation (All The Birds, Singing; Evie Wyld)


I adore this challenge and I'm so glad that despite Wifi complications, I do actually get to take part! The rules are above, click the picture for more details.


This month's chosen book is Evie Wyld's 'All the Birds, Singing', a book that I had never actually heard of until this moment. I have to say, it looks intriguing though! I really want to give it a read. I had to read a brief synopsis to get an idea of what my chain would be, so without further ado, here goes!


From what I read of the plot description for 'All The Birds, Singing', isolation is a pretty key theme. The moment I read that, Eowyn Ivey's 'The Snow Child' came to mind. Isolation is just something you get a huge sense of in this book (which happens to be one of my favourite reads this year). That and loneliness, which also seems to be prevalent in this month's book choice. As well as that, something a little bit strange is happening in both stories.

'The Snow Child' is a gorgeous fairy-tale retelling, and I  recently read another one of those which  was very different. 'Cinder', based of course on Cinderella, is an amazing re-imagining of a very famous fairy-tale that I really enjoyed. I'm so glad I finally got round to reading it, it took me far too long to do so considering the fact that it was recommended to me so many times!

'Daughter Of Smoke & Bone', like 'Cinder' is a book that has been given great reviews, surrounded by hype, and took me a long time to get round to reading. When I did read it, I loved it! It's a very different style of book but still definitely worth the wait. I gave it quite a glowing review!

Having read and loved 'Daughter Of Smoke & Bone', I got onto it's sequel, 'Days Of Blood & Starlight', pretty quickly! Of course the link here is Laini Taylor, the author of both books. I really enjoyed 'Days Of Blood & Starlight', it was a fantastic book. I actually enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the book before, it was that good!

Talking of sequels that I have enjoyed more than their predecessors, Terri Bruce's 'Thereafter' definitely deserves to be on this list! 'Hereafter' was the first book in this series and to be honest, I didn't think much of it. I gave it's sequel a chance however, and I'm so glad I did! It was amazing! I can't wait to read the next book!

'A Certain Slant Of Light', like 'Thereafter', is a book that focuses on ghosts and the afterlife. Laura Whitcomb and Terri Bruce both have very different takes on this subject and their approach to it, but I did really like both books for very different reasons! 

No comments:

Post a Comment