Sunday 7 September 2014

Book Review: Coraline; Neil Gaiman.

Well everybody before I begin this review, I just have to let you all know that I have moved into the new flat. What that means is I have no wifi until Friday 12th and that's going to hinder my post writing abilities a little. I'm writing this using my phone's 3G so no pictures and I'll have to re-edit after I get proper Internet. Now: this book. I really enjoyed this read and I'm entering it as a Monthly Motif entry, as well as a Quick Fix.

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Coraline
AUTHOR: Neil Gaiman
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: William Morrow
PAGES: 186
GENRE: Middle Grade, Horror, Adventure

RATING: 4/5 Stars

Blurb:
Coraline's often wondered what's behind the locked door in the drawing room. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline is surprised to find a flat decorated exactly like her own, but strangely different. And when she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting despite their creepy black button eyes. When they make it clear, however, that they want to make her theirs forever, Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror. With only a bored-through stone and an aloof cat to help, Coraline confronts this harrowing task of escaping these monstrous creatures.

What I Liked:
  • The world building was rather effective in this one and gave the whole book a very creepy atmosphere. I love creepy! Now I have watched the movie so knew partly what to expect but for anyone coming into this fresh, prepare yourself. There are some pretty terrifying ideas here! 
  • Coraline was a great heroine! She felt, thought and acted like a child and yet was both brave and level-headed. I loved her to bits! The side characters were interesting too, I grew rather fond of the cat. He was hilarious! 
What I Disliked:
  • I really do wish this book had been a lot longer. I felt like it got to the point a little too quickly meaning I didn't have time to be completely freaked out or feel like Coraline was in any true danger. Maybe a couple of trips to see the Other Mother, to build up the tension? I just felt it was over with a bit too quickly.
Overall Conclusion:
I really did enjoy reading this, especially after loving the film so much!  It was funny and quirky, yet gave me the chills too. The characters were really well written, and I adored the world building. I really wanted to read much more though,  I was disappointed that it finished so quickly!

http://xjessiexbellex.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/2014-quick-fix-challenge.htmlhttp://bookmark2blog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/2014-monthly-motif-reading-challenge.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment