Tuesday 8 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Most Unique Books'


This week's exciting 'Top Ten Tuesday' topic is 'Most Unique Books I have Read'. Now there are a lot of books that could go here, but the ones I have picked have all been selected for varying reasons and I can't wait to get started!

1) 'Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone', J.K.Rowling

Now I  am pretty sure that I might see this one a lot. I could of course be totally wrong, but Rowling's book is just an icon in 'Unique'. It was unique to me because it's the first book that I remember being surrounded by a massive hype and loved by so many people. But what made it stand out from the rest was the world that Rowling built for Harry. It was just so different to other books, I had never read anything like it. I'm willing to bet a lot of other people hadn't too!


2) 'The Neverending Story', Michael Ende

When I was young, I hadn't read very many fantasy books other than some of the Harry Potter series. But this book, for some strange reason, really grabbed me in a way that not many books could. I loved the character, the setting, the story-line. I had never really read a book like it and I read it many times, borrowing it from the School Library on more than one occasion. The book contained a lot of life lessons, and even some sadder moments that made me cry but I still couldn't stop reading it again and again!


3) 'Watership Down', Richard Adams

This book will also remain a unique read to me! The story was told from the POV of rabbits! The idea that what an animal sees could make up a full-length novel was  a new one on me, but I loved it immediately. Adams did a great job of really understanding what a rabbit's view of the world and it's dangers might be, should they have thoughts on such subjects. My favourite parts of 'Watership Down' will always be Dandelion's stories on the set of beliefs that all rabbits hold dear, on how the world was created. It was fascinating!

4) 'This Lullaby', Sarah Dessen

Now this might seem like a bit of a strange choice. Sure, Sarah Dessen is a talented author but romance is a pretty common theme in books. So why is this unique? Because before reading this book, I did not like romance fiction or chick-lit in any way, shape or form. Even now it still isn't my favourite genre to read without an extra something added in there, but I do enjoy it a whole lot more thanks to this book! So it was very unique to me!



5) 'Before I Die', Jenny Downham

Oh goodness. This book. It was the first book I read on the subject of Terminal Illness and I thought that Jenny Downham did a marvelous job of handling such a sad subject. I knew the ending from the beginning of the book, but it was the middle that gripped me. I wanted to know how the rest of Tessa's life would go, how she would spend it and if she would complete her bucket list. What made this book truly unique though was the end chapters that put it on the unique list. I cried all the way through them, but couldn't stop because they were so well written. The film 'Now Is Good' is based on this novel, and I really want to watch it but I'm scared that I won't leave my room for weeks afterwards.

6) 'The Book Thief', Michael Zusak

I don't think I really need to explain myself with this one, especially to those that have read the book. This novel defines unique. A unique narrative perspective, unique story-line, unique characters, this book has it all! Zusak writes beautifully and 'The Book Thief' will always be my favourite book. It made me laugh and cry, and I will always take my hat off to what is possibly the most heart-wrenching and emotionally hard-hitting book I have ever read. If you have not read this masterpiece then I thoroughly recommend it! 


7) 'The Tale Of Raw Head & Bloody Bones', Jack Wolf

I loved this book when I read it. It had a very unique plot idea, and the situation that the Main Character, Tristan Hart, finds himself in was fascinating to read. This one definitely wins the unique MC award, how someone could think such twisted, sickening thoughts and be so likeable is beyond me. It was also unique in that the titular supernatural folk tale that it bases itself upon is one that is rarely told in stories and I loved it! A fantastic book if anyone is looking for something to read!


8) 'Cloud Atlas', David Mitchell

Anyone who has read this book knows that it definitely fits into the unique definition. It is a story divided into six seeming unrelated shorter stories, and yet they all interlink in the strangest of ways. David Mitchell makes some very interesting observations on the human condition throughout this book and we watch the rise and fall of humanity as a whole told just through the eyes of six very ordinary but very unique characters. I have never seen so many narrative styles and genres crammed into one novel but I loved it!


9) 'The Daughter Of Smoke & Bone', Laini Taylor

This was such a good Urban Fantasy book that I had to include it. What made it unique from the others was the huge amount of thought and creativity that had gone into the world-building and character devising found within this story. I felt like I was reading something I'd never read before while reading this story, and I can't wait to get into the second and third of this amazing series!




10) 'The Invention Of Wings', Sue Monk Kidd


Well this is my latest read, and I am glad I got through it in time to put it on this list. It was the best book I have read for a long time. Based on true events, Kidd managed to breathe life into her characters and inject a realistic dose of humanity into each and every one. I was constantly surprised by the events of this book, and the actions that each character took in reaction. Both story viewpoints were interesting and gripping to read and I really think that everyone should read this book, it carries a powerful message.


And that concludes my Top Ten most Unique Books that I have read! I loved creating this list, next week's topic is: 'The Top Ten Bookish Things that I would Like To Own (that aren't books)'. I can't wait to see everyone else's picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment