Tuesday 22 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Characters That Would Be My Best Friend'.

Wow, what a topic this week! 'Top Ten Characters That Would...?'! Everyone gets to choose their own criteria for their chosen categories, and mine was characters that I would choose to be friends with if I could. I think there are a lot that I could put down here, so I'll get started!

1) Patrick from 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower'; Stephen Chbosky.

I watched the film before I read the book, and I will always maintain that I loved the film more. It is one of very few book-to-film adaptions that I can say that about, but there we are. However, I found with Patrick's character that he was consistently my favourite character in both book and film. I love his sense of humour, his sociable nature but also his hidden vulnerabilities and if ever there were a guy I would want to be friends with, it would be him. He's genuinely so protective and caring, yet not afraid to have a little fun, and Ezra Miller did a wonderful job playing him!

2) Isaac from 'The Fault In Our Stars'; John Green.

I only recently read this one and fell in love with the book instantly. If you read my review, you would know that I had a bit of a soft spot for Isaac. From the get-go I found him hilarious, laughing in the face of his upcoming life-changing tragedy, but not afraid to say that it terrified him too. Even despite some rather major obstacles that he faces throughout the book, he still tries hard to think of others and be a good friend, and he was my favourite character in the novel. I cannot wait until the film comes out so I get to see him exist on the big screen!

3) Corny from 'Tithe'; Holly Black.

Corny I just found to be awesome. He played much more of a role in the book than I thought he would but it was awesome to see him and the MC grow so close, and for it to be a purely platonic relationship. Almost like a brother and sister relationship. I found his near-immediate acceptance of Kayla's 'new look' to be a little too quick, considering as well that they weren't all that close to begin with, but the moment the two of them teamed up, the book became a whole lot more interesting. Also, I loved the comparison that he chose when telling his mother that he was gay. It made me laugh so much!

4) Katniss Everdeen from 'The Hunger Games'; Suzanne Collins.

Now I've only just started reading this book, but I've already watched the films and think Katniss would be a great companion to have! She's got a sense of humour, is very intelligent and not afraid to stand up for what she believes in. She's also fiercely loyal which is a quality I love in book characters! One thing that would put me off I suppose is that I would hate to live in Panem because it's such a horrible place to be, but then if I did, I suppose she would be exactly who I would want as a friend then too!

5) Daine from 'The Immortals' Series; Tamora Pierce.

Yes, yes I know what you're all thinking. Tamora Pierce makes it to another list! I confess, I do adore everything about Pierce's books, and the characters are no exception! It was pretty tough choosing just one character to be friends with, if I could, I would befriend them all! But Daine has always been my favourite Tamora Pierce character for some strange reason. I mean come on, she can talk to animals! Who wouldn't want a friend like that?! 

6) Zuzana from 'The Daughter Of Smoke & Bone' Trilogy, Laini Taylor.

I really liked this series of books, and Zuzana was such a great character! Never shy to say what she thinks, fiercely protective and loyal to her friend and interested in art and music! I love the creativity in this girl. To be honest it was a tough call between Karou and Zuzana, I love them both! But Zuzana actually reminds me very much of a close friend of mine, so in the end, she won! Only just though, I could do with some of Karou's wishes to help me out from time to time.

7) Hermione Granger from the 'Harry Potter' Series; J.K.Rowling.

This was such a no brainer for me. Ever since I was a little girl I have always wished that Hermione was real so that we could be best friends and read books together at Hogwarts and she would obviously be better than me at spells, but she'd be a really good teacher and help me out! I even imagined that when the holidays came, we would meet up in the holidays and hang out! Now that I'm a bit older, I think I would appreciate Fred & George's sense of humour in my life, or Luna Lovegood to say mystical things that would somehow make sense. But no, I shall remain loyal to Hermione!

8) Elizabeth Bennet from 'Pride And Prejudice'; Jane Austen.

Pride & Prejudice. Such a great book, with a really interesting story and very memorable characters. I always felt that Elizabeth was such an awesome power character, not afraid to speak her thoughts on any sort of matter and so if I could choose a best friend this book it would hands down be her! I think she would be a great friend to have, she totally defies the conventions of her time and there's something almost modern in her thoughts about them.

9) Death from 'The Book Thief'; Markus Zusak.

Now I understand that this is a slightly unconventional choice but I love this character that Zusak has written. The entire tragedy of 'The Book Thief' is told from his perspective and the beautiful language use, insightful comments and the humour injected into Death's character was just fantastic. Definitely my favourite character, and though I know that being friends with him would probably expose me to some pretty horrific sights, I still think he would be very good company.

10) Katherine Montague from 'The Tale Of Raw Head & Bloody Bones'; Jack Wolf.

When I read this book, I really liked Katherine's character. She's not really present for a good portion of the book, only really being introduced properly in the later chapters. But I find her so amusing, and despite her slightly odd nature, she grew on me instantly. I just loved her feistiness. Despite being a lady and supposedly ignorant of such things, she understands Tristan's condition far better than most Doctor's do and I was really glad that Jack Wolf decided to include their relationship. 

These choices were so much fun to pick! Next week's topic is 'Top Ten Books If You Liked 'X' (TV Show/Movie/Play etc.' It looks like an interesting topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment